The graham cracker was originally conceived as a health food which made from graham flour, a combination of unbleached-wheat flour and wheat bran and germ. But most graham crackers now are made mainly of refined bleached white flour. Graham crackers have remained popular in North America but is uncommon in Asia including Singapore, let alone getting the whole grain version, so the bakers in Asia usually use digestive biscuits as base for cheesecake and pie crust. I decided to make my own since it is so easy, and is much more wallet-friendly. Moreover, It is more satisfying to DIY and you know what goes into your cookies, how much sugar and fats etc.
These cookies are versatile, all-purpose, and downright delicious! In addition to using these crumbles for base and pie crust, they can be used as toppings for ice cream, cakes and even stirred into pudding. Endless possibilities! Store crumbs in freezer in an airtight containers for conveniences.
Dietary: Vegetarian, Vegan.
Yield about 10 crackers or about 2.5 cup crumbs
DRY1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup regular whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
2 Tbsp dark molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp non-diary milk (I used soy milk)
1. Sift or mix well all dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients until well combined.
3. Fold in the mixed flour until it becomes a dough, add one 1 Tbsp of milk if the dough is too dry.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 25 minutes or in fridge for about one hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 175℃
6. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough about 1/2cm thick on a floured surface, half of it at a time. if necessary. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into rectangular or square, or use cookie cutters for shapes.
7. Transfer dough to prepared baking pan and ensure enough space in between cookies. To get that classic graham Cracker look, using a fork, poke the cookies on both sides.
8. Using a oven thermometer, ensure it is at the right temperature 175℃. Pop the dough into the oven for about 15-18 minutes or until edge are hard just golden and feel relatively firm to the touch. It will not be crunchy right after taken out from oven, but will firm up when cool.