We heard all sorts of muffin, but how often have you heard of mushroom muffin? This savoury snack can be served with vegetable soup for a light quick meal and breakfast. I love the earthy smell that filled the whole kitchen when I'm baking them, feels like heaven! This whole grain muffin is not only low in fat and calories, it is also healthy and rich in vitamins and minerals, perfect! My muffin top look kinda hard because I did not put enough oil, LOL, but the inside is still moist. Will update the photos when I bake another batch of these cuties!
Dietary: Vegetarian, Vegan.
Make 12 mini muffin
Slightly adapted from this book.
2 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp or 37.5ml olive oil, divided
125g fresh shiitake/button mushroom, chopped (or any mushroom with woodsy scent)
Freshly ground black pepper, divided
3/4 cup or 180ml non-dairy milk (I use soy milk)
1/2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup or 30g walnuts, chopped
1. Heat up 2 teaspoons (10ml) of oil in a non-stick large skillet. Sauté mushroom for about 10 minutes or until tender and liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set side to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 190℃ .
3. Combine the milk and vinegar (buttermilk's substitute) and let the mixture incorporate. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and thyme. Add pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Whisk remaining oil into the milk mixture until smooth. Add liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Gently fold in mushroom mixture and walnuts.
6. Pour the batter into a prepared mini muffin cups.
7. Using a oven thermometer, ensure it is at the right temperature 190℃. Pop it into the oven for about 20-25 minutes or till the top looks cooked. Begin testing doneness shortly after 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick, if it comes out clean, it's done!
8. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool slightly, serve warm!